How Does Coach & Player Selection Work?
Coach Selection & Tournament Team Selection Process
- Coaches apply, are interviewed and ranked by the board, in order of preference – the votes are sealed and kept secret at each age level.
- Players attend tryout and are evaluated and scored by objective, independent evaluators across various criteria.
- Rec and Tournament Coaches evaluate their players across multiple criteria, to be utilized along with tryout scores for overall ranking.
- WDMGS board ranking committee assembles to review tryout evaluations and coaches' player evaluations to rank all players from 1 to 50 (or however many participants there may be at an age group).
- There are 2 key factors in the ranking process: 1) the top 6 girls, and 2) the top 15 girls. The top 6 girls are required to be offered a spot to play on the first team that is formed by the coach. The remaining girls from the top 15 may be offered spots at the discretion of the coach, to complete a roster (likely of somewhere between 10-12 girls).
- The coaching vote is then counted and the coach of the first team is named, based on the highest ranked coach from the board vote, who has a daughter ranked in the top 15 players.
- Any players from the 15 that are not selected for the first team become available for the next team to be formed and the process repeats itself.
We hope to have all teams created and each girl called by in a timely manner.
Applying to be a Coach?
Step 1 - Apply Below
All parents (especially any who have played or coached softball or baseball competitively) are strongly encouraged to volunteer as coaches for WDMGS sponsored “tournament teams”. Anyone interested in interviewing to be a coach, should complete the application form available here.
Step 2 - Check Your Email for Confirmation
Some browsers, especially on mobile devices, may not submit the form correctly. We recommend using the Google Chrome browser. You should receive a confirmation email, after submitting, from Google Forms. You can also edit the form, after submitting.
Step 3 - Save the Date(s) for In-Person Coaching Interviews
This year, our in-person coach interviews will be held at Holiday Park on either Wednesday, June 9 or Thursday, June 10 depending on age group and number of applicants.
Fees and Collection Dates
Please note that our jersey design will remain the same for the 21-22 season so jerseys fees are only applicable if you need new ones for any reason.
10U-14U Fees ($700 + $100 for jerseys)
- Tryout Deposit - $50
- September 15, 2021 - $450 ($350 for dues and $100 for jerseys)
- February 15, 2022 - $300
8U Fees ($500 + $100 for jerseys)
- Tryout Deposit - $50
- September 15, 2021 - $350 ($250 for dues and $100 for jerseys)
- February 15, 2022 - $200
The Tiger Cage
The NEW TIGER CAGE is now located at 1650 Fuller Road in West Des Moines
(the front of the old Flying Spikes building)!
It's twice the size of our previous facility and offers:
- 3 batting nets that when pulled back fit a true-to-size infield
- 3 soft toss / tee stations
- a larger waiting area + a bathroom
- high ceilings
Save the Date
An open house will happen in June!
Once teams have been formed, register your team here: http://www.usssa.com/fastpitch/ISTSIDCreation
http://www.iowausssafastpitch.com/ - Under the 'Rules Info' Menu Item
- Need to borrow a player? Here are some important rules from USSSA and our own Tigers program:
- Coming soon...updated WDM Tigers Player Rules
- Iowa USSSA Softball Pick Up Player Rules
Certificate of Insurance:
Current Proof of Insurance (required by some tournaments) coming soon...
Tigers Team Logo:
Tournament Fees & Gate Fees:
Most USSSA tournaments will have an Entry Fee and a Gate Fee. Depending on the size of the tournament, and your age division, these tournaments may run between $350 - $500. To review the fees associated with a tournament, please check the “Event Home” section of the specific tournament on the USSSA website.
Some tournaments may not have a Gate Fee and will simply charge admission to spectators who attend the games.